Advertisements

Tag Archives: New

New eatery celebrates opening by giving out free food

A NEW city centre food venue selling a Canadian delicacy will open in Bradford tomorrow by offering free food to its first customers.

Brooklyn Fries on Upper Millergate will be dedicated to the little known dish poutine, made up of French fries topped with cheese curds, a gravy or other sauce and assorted other toppings like fried eggs or meats.

The business opens in the former Tribeca cafe unit tomorrow, and is offering its first 50 customers after it opens at 1pm. After that food will be buy one get one free for the rest of the day.

Run by Imtiaz Pandor, the business is one of just a few in the UK specialising in Poutine. He decided to change the concept of Tribeca, which he bought four years ago, to offer a new type of food in the city centre.

The business will be open from noon until 10pm on Friday and Saturday, and from noon until 8pm on Monday to Thursday.

Advertisements

New road laid around parked car in Rusholme, Manchester

Thornton Road in RusholmeImage copyright Sarah Jolliffe
Image caption The council said it was planning to return to the street to fix the gap

Council workers re-surfacing a road in Manchester went around a parked car leaving a chunk of the road unfinished.

Bemused residents of Thornton Road in Rusholme were left scratching their heads after the repairs following roadworks on Tuesday.

Resident Sarah Jolliffe said the road “looks worse than it did originally”, adding “it was fine and now there’s this giant pothole.”

The council said it was planning to return to the street to fix the gap.

Residents say the car, which has got two flat tyres, has been there for about six months.

‘Will return’

Councillor Angeliki Stogia said all residents were informed of the work and asked not to park on the street.

She added: “Where a car is left in place despite this notice, our team knock on all doors on the street, to look for the owner and ask them to move it. In this case, the owner could not be contacted.

“However, applying the microasphalt treatment is a quick and simple process and our team will return to complete the necessary work in the near future.

“This will have no effect on the overall finish or integrity of the treatment.”

The council said the car could not just be removed as it has insurance and an MOT.

New £25m ‘superyacht’ hotel opens in Southampton

[unable to retrieve full-text content]

New rules for eating eggs

[unable to retrieve full-text content]

New book by young Bradfordians documents role of female photographers in World War One

A BOOK looking at female photographers of World War One, put together by a group of young people from Bradford, has just been released.

No Man’s Land is the result of months of work by the New Focus Group, which is associated with Impressions Gallery. It ties in with the gallery’s latest exhibition, which opened yesterday.

Earlier this year the group – made up of 16 to 25 year olds, were awarded a £34,500 grant by The Heritage Lottery Fund for the project, and it has led to 3,500 of the glossy books being printed. Around 25 young people were involved in researching, writing and designing the book, and the book was launched at an event at the City Park gallery

1,600 of these books will be distributed to schools across the district, with the others available for free at the gallery and in local libraries.

The book features some never before images by female wartime photographers, including Mary Porter, Florene Farmborough and Olive Edis, that the group found by searching through the archives of the Imperial War Museum. It also includes letters from the period and stories behind the women’s work.

Members of the group will be visiting schools to talk about their research and the creation of the book.

Jennifer Sobol, Impressions’ learning and audience development coordinator, said: “The project started about a year ago, we worked with the New Focus group to write the funding application. This exhibition at the gallery was planned, and they decided this book was what they wanted to create. A lot of them said many young people wouldn’t think the First World War would be relevant to young people. A lot of history books are just black and white, and dry facts, so they decided to create this book which would be more interesting and fascinating for young people.

“Without doubt this is the biggest project we have done as a group. When we got the book from the printers we believe how good it turned out.”

The No Man’s Land exhibition will run until the end of the year, before going on tour to Bristol Cathedral, The Turnpike in Leigh, and Bishop Auckland Town Hall in 2018.

SS Thistlegorm images released by Nottingham University

3D ship imageImage copyright The Thistlegorm Project
Image caption It is the first time the shipwreck has been viewed in this way

New 3D images of one of the world’s best known World War Two dive sites have been released to the public.

British merchant steam ship SS Thistlegorm was hit by a German bomber in 1941 and lies on the bed of the Red Sea off the coast of Egypt.

The Thistlegorm Project, led by the University of Nottingham, could help to preserve its valuable remains.

Director Dr Jon Henderson said the shipwreck deserved to be seen by the wider public.

Image copyright The Thistlegorm Project
Image caption Divers had to take part in 12 dives to gather enough images
Image copyright The Thistlegorm Project
Image caption Some of the Thistlegorm’s original features can still be seen

A website has been launched to enable people to view the images.

SS Thistlegorm was carrying trains, aircraft parts, trucks and motorbikes, and heading to Egypt to support the allied war effort when it was hit.

Five Royal Navy gunners and four merchant sailors lost their lives.

The wreck has become one of the most famous dive sites in the world due to the clear water and military equipment still on board.

Dr Henderson, from the university’s School of Archaeology, said: “The thing about underwater sites and the importance of underwater cultural heritage is that the only people who’ve ever seen it are divers.

“However, we are now at a point where we have the technology to reconstruct these sites.”

Image copyright The Thistlegorm Project
Image caption The ship is popular with divers in the Red Sea

The university said the photogrammetric survey was one of the largest ever carried out on a shipwreck, with 24,307 high resolution pictures taken during 12 dives at the site.

“The Thistlegorm is an amazing resource, it’s a remarkable snapshot in history, it’s got all this material from World War Two sitting on it and so there is a lot to learn from the wreck,” said Dr Henderson.

Image copyright The Thistlegorm Project
Image caption Dr Henderson said much could be learned from the wreck

The university said the underwater archaeological project was one of the first to utilise 360 video, which will allow people to experience what it is like to dive to the wreck.

Dr Henderson said the wreck had no legal protection and needed to be properly recorded.

“Carrying out a baseline survey (such as this) of exactly what’s there is the first step in doing that,” he said.

We can then chart changes over time and look at what we need to protect.”

New driver locked up for fatal Fraserburgh crash

Shari DunbarImage copyright Iain McLellan/Spindrift

A teenager found guilty of causing the death of a man by driving dangerously in Fraserburgh weeks after passing her test has been detained for four years.

First offender Shari Dunbar, 19, struck Nuno Barbara, 45, who was originally from Portugal, as he crossed a road in September 2015.

The care worker failed to observe give way markings at the junction of the town’s Bath Street and Castle Street.

Judge Lord Kinclaven told Dunbar: “Driving of this nature wrecks lives”.

Dunbar, who had passed her test five weeks earlier, also failed to slow her car down to a speed appropriate for negotiating the junction and failed to keep control of her Seat Ibiza.

Dunbar then struck father-of four Mr Barbara, who came to Scotland to take a job at a fish factory.

‘So sorry’

She claimed she was concerned about a former boyfriend who she alleged had been driving too close to her.

When Dunbar was charged by police she told them: “I’m just so sorry for it all.”

Defence advocate Derick Nelson said: “Knowing what she had done will live with her forever.

“When her car struck Mr Barbara she immediately called an ambulance.

“The incident was over in an instant, but had devastating consequences. She was on her way home to her family and Mr Barbara had left work and was on his way home to his family.

“She is truly sorry and devastated by Mr Barbara’s family’s devastating loss. She is heartbroken about the effect on his family, but realises she cannot change what has happened.”

‘Recognise the heartache’

She admitted causing death by careless driving, but denied causing death by dangerous driving.

After trial she was convicted of the more serious charge.

Lord Kinclaven, at the High Court in Glasgow, told her: “You recognise the heartache you have caused to Mr Barbara’s family.

“Your dangerous driving was over a limited period and you arranged for the emergency services to attend. It is clear you did not intend or plan to cause death by dangerous driving.”

Lord Kinclaven banned Dunbar from driving for seven years and said she would then need to resit the driving test.

Clare Balding denies Saga interview ‘diva’ claims

Clare Balding
Image caption Clare Balding was the cover star of Saga Magazine

Clare Balding has denied claims that she demanded changes were made to a magazine interview and replaced quotes with her own “self-promoting words”.

Journalist Ginny Dougary branded Balding an “insecure diva” in an article in The Guardian about her experience interviewing the presenter for Saga magazine.

But the BBC presenter tweeted that she “did not have copy approval”.

She said it was the editor of Saga that had asked for changes.

Saga magazine issued a statement saying said that Dougary was “mistaken in thinking that copy approval was given. It was not.”

They say they edited the interview “with the full involvement of the writer”.

‘Saga saga’

Dougary said she asked for her byline to be removed from the article after a number of changes were made to her copy, claiming these were due to requests from the BBC presenter and her agent.

The journalist also said Balding had added quotes about hosting the women’s European football championships as well as a “shameless puff” for her own children’s book.

Saga said it was the magazine editor’s view that the “original article did not cover the wide range of issues that Clare holds dear” and the writer “suggested we add lines ourselves”.

They said it was the editor’s decision alone to edit any article that is “not exactly right” for the magazine and that they do “not defer that decision to PRs or interviewees”.

Analysis by Amol Rajan, BBC media editor

Image copyright Reuters

It’s not at all clear what changes or approval – if any – the broadcaster Clare Balding (or those around her) sought for her interview in Saga. I don’t know the specifics of the case, and therefore couldn’t pass judgement.

But in general, copy approval transgresses a fundamental principle of journalism. By in effect granting the interviewee final say in what is published, it gives them the right to shape what enters the public domain.

No journalist should be willing to cede control in that manner. When setting up interviews, it is reasonable for journalists to give a general outline of the subject matter to be discussed. But it is foolhardy to give final say to the interviewee.

In general, it is the most powerful people who have most to gain from copy approval. Given the basic job of journalists is to scrutinise power, that is all the more reason for journalists to resist such a move.

“Saga Magazine does not offer copy control, and interviews that require it are declined. In this case, quotes were checked for accuracy alone. New quotes were sourced to rebalance the article against deadline,” they said.

The Guardian article was widely shared on social media with a number of journalists tweeting their agreement with Dougary.

Balding did not comment until after Saga’s statement was published, revealing she had to stop herself from responding earlier in the day.

“Re the Saga saga, today has been an exercise in self-restraint,” she said.

Among Dougary’s claims was that she had been asked to say how “lovely” Balding was.

“I would certainly never ask anyone to call me ‘lovely’. Gorgeous maybe – but never lovely!”, Balding tweeted in response.

Follow us on Facebook, on Twitter @BBCNewsEnts, or on Instagram at bbcnewsents. If you have a story suggestion email .

New homes plan sparks fears over traffic and parking

doc

COUNCIL highways experts have objected to plans to build 55 homes on green fields in Cleckheaton, which are owned by the authority itself.

Kirklees Council has lodged an outline scheme for the 1.68 hectare site off Kenmore Drive.

Residents and local councillors have raised road fears and now the authority’s highways department has been consulted over the scheme.

Highways officer Mark Berry states that while the proposed access by means of extending the cul-de-sac of Kenmore Drive is acceptable in principle, existing on-street parking is a concern.

“Evidence suggests the existence of on-street parking with cars parked opposite each other on both sides of the carriageway, this reducing the effective useable carriageway width of 3.2m.

“The existence of other on-street parking within Kenmore Drive would create additional issues with highway safety and efficiency with the introduction of the proposed development traffic utilising Kenmore Drive.

“The issue has not been assessed or addressed within the submitted Transport Statement.”

Local councillor Kath Pinnock (Lib Dem, Cleckheaton) said this exact issue was one of the points local residents and ward councillors had been raising with the authority.

“It’s not a surprise that highways have said this is not acceptable,” she said. “It’s already a narrow road with parking often on both sides.

“Some existing homes do not have their own off-road parking, so parking on the street is to be expected.

“There is no way you could use that road as access for 55 more homes.

She added that Kenmore Drive leads on to Kenmore Road, which was one of the first roads in Kirklees where traffic calming measures were introduced due to the volume of traffic and its speed – which was around 20 to 25 years ago.

The land has been owned by the Council for a number of years and had at one point been earmarked for a new school.

For the last two decades it has been allocated for housing.

A planning statement accompanying the scheme states that the development could contain a mix of detached and semi-detached homes.

A Kirklees Council spokesman confirmed earlier: “An outline planning application has recently been submitted for the land off Kenmore Drive, Cleckheaton.

“This application is currently being consulted on and no decision has been made. The Council as the landowner is entitled to apply for planning permission on its own land. The application will be considered in the usual way, and the decision on the application will be made by the appropriate planning committee.”

No date has been set for the plans to go before a committee for a decision.

New state-of-the-art eye centre opens in Bradford

A NEW £500,000 state-of-the art centre offering the very latest in eye imaging technology has opened its doors in Bradford.

The Bradford Macula Centre, part of Bradford Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, has moved out of the temporary building it used to share with the pain management clinic at St Luke’s Hospital in Trinity Road, to have its own space in the hospital grounds.

And two long-attending macula patients, Levi Hall and Margaret Topham, unveiled the plaque at the opening ceremony which was attended by representatives from Bayer Pharmaceuticals. The company funded a new Optical Coherence Tomography (OCT) scanner for the unit.

The plaque is dedicated to the memory of ophthalmology staff nurse, Diana Jonas, who passed away last year. It was unveiled by her dad, Brian Dyle and her sister-in-law, Julie Jonas.

The new centre means patients with suspected wet macular degeneration, a condition that causes the loss of central vision usually in both eyes, will now be seen and treated for the condition more quickly.

The Trust estimates it could double the number of patients it can see coming into the clinic for help.

The sophisticated scanning system produces highly detailed images of the retina and is like an MRI or an x-ray.

Consultant Ophthalmic Surgeon, Helen Devonport said: “This scanner allows us to see detailed images of the retina (the lining of the back of the eye), enabling us to accurately detect, monitor and manage changes to the retina. This latest technology allows us to see flow in blood vessels in the retina without having to inject patients with dye.

“Previously abnormal blood vessels could only be detected on photos taken after patients received an intravenous injection of one or two dyes. So we are very grateful to Bayer for their support.”