Advertisements

Tag Archives: man

Bingley-born Likely Lads actor Rodney Bewes dies aged 79

BINGLEY-born Likely Lads star Rodney Bewes has died aged 79, his agent confirmed.

The actor – best known for his role as Bob Ferris in the BBC sitcom – died on Tuesday morning, a representative has said.

Bewes became best known as the character Bob Ferris, from The Likely Lads and Whatever happened to the Likely Lads, starring alongside James Bolam, Brigit Forsyth and Sheila Fearn.

In a statement on Twitter, his agent Michelle Braidman described him as a “true one off”.

She added: “It is with great sadness that we confirm that our dear client, the much loved actor Rodney Bewes, passed away this morning.

“We will miss his charm and ready wit.”

Bewes would have turned 80 next week, his agent said.

The actor spend his early childhood in Bingley before moving with his family to Luton.

One of the last occasions he came back to his roots was in February 2013 when he performed his one man show A Boy Growing Up as a BBC radio man at Bingley Arts Centre.

Advertisements

Graduate with 2:1 sues Oxford for £1m

Oxford University
Image caption Faiz Siddiqui is suing Oxford university for £1m in damages

An Oxford graduate’s failure to get a top degree cost him a lucrative legal career, the High Court has heard.

Faiz Siddiqui alleges “inadequate” teaching on his modern history course resulted in him getting a low upper second degree in June 2000.

He blames staff being absent on sabbatical leave and is suing the university for £1m.

Oxford denies negligence and causation and says the case is “massively” outside the legal time limit.

Mr Siddiqui also alleges medical information about him was not submitted to examiners by a tutor.

The 39-year-old studied at Brasenose College and singled out the teaching on the Indian special subject part of his course for criticism.

‘A huge disappointment’

His counsel Roger Mallalieu told Mr Justice Foskett that Mr Siddiqui had been a “driven young man” aiming at a postgraduate qualification at an Ivy League university.

He said: “Whilst a 2:1 degree from Oxford might rightly seem like a tremendous achievement to most, it fell significantly short of Mr Siddiqui’s expectations and was, to him, a huge disappointment.”

Mr Mallalieu said his employment history in legal and tax roles was “frankly poor” and he was now unemployed, rather than having a career at the tax bar in England or a major US law firm.

Mr Siddiqui also said his clinical depression and insomnia have been significantly exacerbated by his “inexplicable failure”.

Julian Milford, for Oxford University, told the court Mr Siddiqui complained about insufficient resources, but had only described the teaching as “a little bit dull”.

He added the student received exactly the same amount of teaching as he would have in any other year.

The seven-day hearing is concerned only with liability – with damages to be assessed later if Mr Siddiqui succeeds.

New footage of vandal throwing plant pot through window during wrecking spree

New footage has emerged of an act of “wanton vandalism” committed at the weekend during a “mindless spree”.

The CCTV footage shows a man walking through Agincourt Drive in Bingley before stopping to pick up a plant pot from the garden of a house.

The man then throws the pot at one of the property’s windows, smashing it, before running away.

The new images follow a number of videos which were sent to the Telegraph & Argus at the weekend, which showed the vandal on a rampage in the residential cul-de-sac.

The man is also thought to have caused damage to nearby Eldwick Primary School.

In total, the man, who is believed to have been acting alone, damaged nearly 30 cars and houses during the rampage, which took place between 5.30am and 6.30am on Saturday. As well as Agincourt Drive, the man also damaged property in the Primrose Bank, Ferncliffe Road, Crosley Wood Road and Queensway areas.

In the attacks, which seemed to be carried out at random, items including plant pots and bricks were thrown through windows and windscreens, with wing mirrors also being broken.

The house damaged with the plant pot belonged to 49-year-old David Longbottom.

He said the man picked up a plant pot from outside his front door and hurled it through the window.

“I heard it smash, it woke me up. It didn’t trigger the alarm, but my neighbour came around and knocked at the door.

“He’s just launched it through the window. Fortunately it hasn’t caused too much damage inside.

“On the CCTV, he does look a bit unsteady on his feet at times, but it was 6am, it’s a strange time.

“It just seems indiscriminate and mindless really. Just wanton vandalism.”

Janice Kershaw, headteacher of Eldwick Primary School, said the school was also damaged during the incident.

She said: “Police think the attacks were interconnected.

“The damage is very limited, he attempted to break two windows and they have been shattered but not broken.”

Councillor John Pennington (Conservative, Bingley) said the man responsible is a “danger to the public”.

He said: “I am horrified and I just despair where mankind is going to end up.You can see someone having a vendetta against one household but for this extent of damage he has clearly walked a long way causing damage along the way.

“I hope police will catch this man, he is a danger to the public and needs to be apprehended.

Coun Pennington said he would be calling round to give his sympathies to the people affected, and reassure them the police and authorities are doing all they can.

Inspector Julie Deacon, of Shipley Partnership Working Area, said: “This mindless spree of damage has caused distress and inconvenience to a significant number of people.”

A police spokesman said inquiries are ongoing into the incident.

Jail for man who faked £7m will to cheat charity

Paul CoppolaImage copyright CIARAN DONNELLY
Image caption Paul Coppola was jailed for two years for faking the will of his relative Desiderio Coppola

A man who faked a relative’s will to prevent a charity benefitting from a multi-million pound legacy has been jailed.

Paul Coppola, 65, admitted forging the signature of Desiderio Coppola just days before his death in October 2011.

The deceased had wanted his £7m estate to be divided between his family and the balance left to the charity, Medecins Sans Frontieres.

Coppola was jailed for two years at Edinburgh Sheriff Court.

The court was told that Coppola had known his second cousin, Desiderio Coppola, all his life and that the accused had referred to him as “uncle”.

In July 2010 Desiderio Coppola made a will bequeathing much of his estate to his friends and family, including £100,000 to Paul Coppola.

No mention

It also gave instructions that tenants of business premises that he owned were to be offered the chance to buy them.

Mr Coppola also stated that the residue of his estate was to go to Medecins Sans Frontieres, the charity that provides medical assistance in war torn regions and developing countries.

However, days before his gravely ill relative’s death, the court was told that Paul Coppola presented a new will to the family that made no mention of the charity.

It also made no reference to the business premises and instructed that the remainder of the estate be paid to Coppola, of Waverley Park Terrace, Edinburgh.

Image copyright Scottish Courts
Image caption Coppola was jailed for two years at Edinburgh Sheriff Court

Fiscal Ann MacNeill told the court that the day after Desiderio Coppola’s death, the accused contacted his goddaughter, Elvira Fearn, to tell her about the content of the faked document.

The fiscal said: “Although she had no knowledge of the wills or the deceased’s intentions, she was suspicious of the will because she was aware that the deceased hated to pay tax and she did not believe that he would have omitted Medecins Sans Frontieres completely and left the residue to the accused as there would have been a large tax liability to pay.”

She added: “Elvira Fearn was of the opinion that the changes to the will reflected the accused’s allegiances rather than the wishes of the deceased.”

Several days after the death, friends and family held a meeting with Coppola, where he was asked how the new will had come about.

‘Much grief’

The fiscal said: “The accused explained that he found out that the deceased was due to leave the majority of his wealth to charity and that he had persuaded the deceased to change his will.

“He said the deceased had agreed to change the terms of his will.”

In June 2012 confirmation of the will was granted and a total of £1.2m was paid to friends and family who had been bequeathed specific amounts.

By March 2013 Coppola had received a property from the estate in Edinburgh’s Raeburn Place, which he sold for £290,000. He also received a further property in the city‘s Waterloo Place.

Coppola also received more than £270,000 from the estate into his bank account in October 2013.

However, weeks later lawyers went to the Court of Session in Edinburgh and successfully raised an action to have the will set aside.

Coppola chose not to defend the action.

The police were informed and lawyers then took over administration of the estate and began trying to recover money that had been due to the charity.

Coppola later admitted to officers that he had forged the signature of his relative.

Sheriff Frank Crowe told him: “Your actions caused much grief, inconvenience and disappointment to the other legatees and your friends and uncertainty to the tenants of properties which were rented from the deceased.”

The sheriff told Coppola he would have faced a three-year jail sentence if he had been convicted after trial, but it would be reduced in view of his early guilty plea.

Happy Valley’s Sarah Lancashire ’emotional’ about OBE

Sarah LancashireImage copyright PA
Image caption Lancashire said she was worried she would fall over when she curtseyed

Happy Valley star Sarah Lancashire said she was thrilled and “slightly speechless” after being made an OBE.

The actress received the honour for services to drama from the Duke of Cambridge at Buckingham Palace.

Lancashire, who was accompanied by her three children, said she wished her father had been alive to see it.

“At times like this, really, one tends to focus on parents, and my father would have been the proudest man in the world,” she said.

‘Unfinished business’

She added: “I think it is an emotional moment.

Image copyright PA
Image caption Lancashire was named in the Queen’s birthday honours in June

“It’s very difficult because you are in these most spectacular surroundings and you are trying desperately to take it all in but your head is full of white noise because you don’t want to fall over when you curtsey. It’s wonderful.”

Lancashire, who became a household name in the 1990s after starring as barmaid Raquel in Coronation Street, said she had been nervous before the ceremony because “I don’t do things like this very easily”.

The Oldham-born actress won acclaim for playing police sergeant Catherine Cawood in BBC crime drama Happy Valley in 2014 and 2016.

Image caption Lancashire won a Bafta for best actress for her role in Happy Valley

Her other TV credits include Last Tango in Halifax. Both dramas are written by Sally Wainwright.

Lancashire said Wainwright would return to write further series of both programmes.

“Happy Valley is unfinished business so we have to go back and finish that off,” she said.

“And Tango is always a delight… we have sort of become a family away from the screen as well, so it’s a lovely piece to work on.”

Follow us on Facebook, on Twitter @BBCNewsEnts, or on Instagram at bbcnewsents. If you have a story suggestion email entertainment.news@bbc.co.uk.

Leeds nightclub shooting CCTV footage released

CCTV footage showing three men attacking a man outside a Leeds nightclub with a gun, machete and knife has been released by police.

Shaquille Liddie, 24, Kemar Ricketts, 28, and Seion Allen, 33, all of no fixed abode, were jailed on Monday after targeting a 42-year-old man outside the Nite Trax club, on Chapeltown Road, on 29 August 2016.

The victim was stabbed and shot in the chest from just a few feet away and had to undergo surgery as people were celebrating the Leeds West Indian Carnival weekend.

Liddie admitted attempted murder and possession of a firearm with intent to endanger life and was jailed for 14 years. Ricketts and Allen were both found guilty of attempted murder and each sentenced to 19 years in prison.

Two men arrested over burglary in early hours

TWO men were arrested in the early hours of this morning after being caught trying to burgle a property in Allerton.

Officers arrested a man at an ongoing burglary in Osprey Court in Allerton after being called to the incident at 4.29am.

Another man was arrested in Mallard Court following inquiries in the area.

The two men, aged 21 and 34, were arrested on suspicion of burglary and remain in custody today as police continue to carry out inquiries into the incident.

The first man to star in a L’Oreal make-up advert

Gary, aka ‘The Plastic Boy‘, is an Instagram beauty blogger with more than 75 thousand followers.

He does make-up demonstration videos and became the first man to star in a make-up advert for L’Oreal.

The cosmetics company now says we could see male-targeted make-up counters within “five to seven years”.

Paul Hollywood: Former Bake Off presenters ‘abandoned’ the show

Paul HollywoodImage copyright Channel 4
Image caption Hollywood: ‘I became the most hated man in the country’

Paul Hollywood has accused former Bake Off presenters and fellow judge Mary Berry of “abandoning” the show.

Mary Berry, along with presenters Mel Giedroyc and Sue Perkins, left the programme when it was announced it was moving to Channel 4.

Speaking to the Radio Times, Hollywood said the criticism he received when he decided to stay was “not fun”.

The 51-year old said: “The girls abandoned it. But I was the one put under siege.”

He said he “became the most hated man in the country”.

Image copyright BBC/Love Productions
Image caption Hollywood says he was ‘put under siege’ after deciding to stay with the Great British Bake Off

He said he did not like the limelight, adding: “I didn’t set out to be on the telly, I set out to be a good baker.”

In the interview, Hollywood, who announced on Monday that he was separating from his wife of 20 years, also addressed Prue Leith’s Twitter gaffe. She accidentally revealed the name of this year’s Bake Off winner several hours early.

Hollywood said while he forgives his fellow judge, he thinks there could have been an even higher viewing figure than the 11 million people who watched the final.

“I think we could have had much more,” he said. “Everyone makes a mistake. It was a shame though.”

Follow us on Facebook, on Twitter @BBCNewsEnts, or on Instagram at bbcnewsents. If you have a story suggestion email entertainment.news@bbc.co.uk.

This Morning: ITV apologises as show falls off-air

Philip Schofield and Holly WilloughbyImage copyright ITV
Image caption This Morning’s Philip Schofield and Holly Willoughby checking Twitter to find out the programme has cut out

This Morning went off-air unexpectedly during Monday’s live show, with ITV blaming technical problems.

Viewers were left unable to watch the morning programme, hosted by Philip Schofield and Holly Willoughby, for more than 12 minutes.

The presenters were chatting to guest Ben Fogle when the programme suddenly cut out.

ITV apologised for the glitch and said it was looking into what caused the problem.

Viewers were met with a message saying the broadcaster was “working hard to fix the issue”.

Image copyright ITV

Fogle was discussing a recent vote in parliament when This Morning went off air, criticising the government for rejecting the premise that animals can feel emotions.

He joked about the disruption on Twitter, asking: “What did I say?”

ITV said a fault with the BT Tower caused the loss of transmission.

They said: “We would like to apologise to This Morning viewers after the programme went off air for 12 minutes today as a result of an issue at BT Tower, which affected the live feed to ITV.

“We are in contact with BT to establish the cause of this issue.”

Audience members took to Twitter, however, and were quick to come up with with own theories.

This Morning’s showbiz reporter Rylan Clark-Neal joked on Twitter he had pulled the plug after fellow reporter Alison Hammond was given an interview with Victoria Beckham instead of him.

ITV also made light of the situation asking Twitter users what they had done during the break in transmission, with some responding they’d chosen to do the ironing or make cups of tea.

When the programme finally came back on air, Schofield and Willoughby seemed confused about the situation.

Schofield was reading comments on his Twitter feed to Willoughby and seemed to have only just realised they had fallen off air.

He later confirmed they had carried on as normal during the outage.

Former I’m a Celebrity winner Vicky Pattison lamented that her debut as a correspondent on the reality show had gone wrong.

“My big This Morning debut, man, and it’s not even going out,” she complained.

Follow us on Facebook, on Twitter @BBCNewsEnts, or on Instagram at bbcnewsents. If you have a story suggestion email entertainment.news@bbc.co.uk.