Advertisements

Tag Archives: CCTV

Man who converted firearms for organised criminals jailed for 18 years

A BRADFORD man who was converting firearms for criminal gangs at a suspected “chop shop” in Little Horton Lane has been jailed for 18 years.

Nigel Harrison, 50, of Spicer Street in Bradford, admitted converting imitation handguns into live weapons that could fire expanding bullets.

He also pleaded guilty to possessing ammunition, sawn-off shotguns and other prohibited weapons as well as being involved in the production of cannabis with a street value of up to £23,000 at Chapel Green Works in Little Horton.

Bradford Crown Court heard how Harrison’s DNA had been found on converted guns used by criminals in York and Manchester.

Judge Jonathan Durham Hall QC praised police for their work on the investigation and said: “These were handguns for use by customers with organised criminal enterprise.

“For reasons of profit no doubt, you were providing firearms to serious organised criminals involved in drugs.

“The increasing amount of weaponry getting into the hands of determined criminals is alarming.”

Prosecuting, Tom Storey said Harrison was “in all likelihood” involved in activating blank handguns and sawn-off shotguns.

In September 2016 police raided premises at Chapel Green Works in Little Horton, where Harrison was living in a caravan parked on the forecourt outside.

Officers discovered specialist tents in which 26 cannabis plants were being grown, with an estimated street value of up to £23,000. CCTV showed Harrison regularly entering and leaving the unit.

They also discovered firearms including a shortened shotgun and a “partially dismantled” blank firing revolver on a workbench, which police believe was being converted into a usable firearm. A knuckle duster taser was also found.

Mr Storey said: “Harrison was involved in dismantling and no doubt reactivating and converting a handgun to render it capable of firing potentially lethal bullets.”

Harrison was arrested at HMP Armley on June 25 2016 and later pleaded guilty to charges of producing cannabis, possessing prohibited firearms and possessing ammunition.

The court heard that Harrison has seven previous convictions for 14 offences but none of them are related to this case.

Defending, Stephen Wood said: “He has no previous convictions for firearms or even violence.

“He has taken steps over the course of 2017 to accept what he has done and his cooperation with the Crown Prosecution Service in entering guilty pleas for these complicated offences has no doubt saved the public thousands of pounds.”

Harrison was sentenced to a total of 18 years in jail.

Advertisements

Tulse Hill hit-and-run: Police release CCTV images

CCTVImage copyright Met Police
Image caption The victim was hit on a pedestrian crossing on the South Circular Road near Norwood Road

Police investigating a fatal hit-and-run in which a woman was struck four times have released CCTV images of vehicles they believe were involved.

The victim, 29, was “left to die” on the pedestrian crossing, when all four drivers failed to stop, on Monday.

She was struck as she crossed Norwood Road in Tulse Hill, in south London, when the traffic lights were green.

The images show a white lorry – possibly a Mercedes, and a black car, similar to a Vauxhall SUV.

Detectives have traced two drivers allegedly involved but are still looking for the other two.

Image copyright Met Police
Image caption One of the vehicles believed to be involved in the hit-and-run was a white lorry
Image copyright Met Police
Image caption Police are urging the driver to come forward
Image copyright Met Police
Image caption Two of the four drivers have been traced so far

The victim, who was Polish and staying with family in Wandsworth, was struck by one lorry, before being hit by a second lorry and two cars, the Metropolitan Police believe.

She was treated by paramedics but died from her injuries, less than an hour after she was fatally injured at about 06:45 GMT on Monday.

Her family is due in the UK later, to enable her to be formally identified.

Police interviewed the 49-year-old male driver of the first lorry under caution and arrested the 52-year-old male driver of the second car on Tuesday.

Dashcam footage

He was detained on suspicion of causing death by careless driving and later released under investigation.

The Met said it was “grateful for all those witnesses who have come forward”.

But, they are still seeking any dashcam footage from drivers who were in the Norwood Road area between 06:30 and 07:00 GMT.

Acting Det Sgt Alastair Middleton, of the Met Police, said: “We continue to appeal for anyone who was passing and witnessed the collision and the moments afterwards to contact us immediately.

“Enquiries are continuing to trace the two outstanding vehicles involved. A number of actions, including the recovery of local CCTV footage are in hand. I would urge the two drivers we are yet to trace come forward and speak with my team.”

‘Dyed in the wool’ burglar wanted to be sent back to prison in time for Christmas lunch

A “DYED in the wool” burglar who hid behind the chair of an 80 year-old disabled man before stealing from his home is back behind bars.

Jason McIlvenny, 45, told Bradford Crown Court he had spent 26 out of the last 30 years in jail, and the court heard he was on-licence from prison when he committed two further burglaries in August.

He told the Recorder of Bradford, Judge Jonathan Durham Hall QC, that he was “ashamed” of his record, but the judge said he was more concerned about getting back to the prison canteen for his lunch than showing remorse for his crimes.

Prosecutor Ben Campbell said that on August 7, 80 year-old Frank Bartle, who requires oxygen for chronic lung disease, was sat watching TV in his front room on Brownroyd Hill Road, Wibsey, Bradford, when he heard a noise.

McIlvenny was hiding behind his chair, and when Mr Bartle got up to confront him, asking “what’s your game”, he told him he had seen a mobility scooter outside and wanted advice on buying one.

After the defendant had left, Mr Bartle studied his CCTV and saw that McIlvenny had stolen items including a tablet, sunglasses, and some letters.

McIlvenny was identified by his victim, and tested positive for heroin and cocaine on his arrest.

Mr Campbell said that four days earlier, on August 3, McIlvenny had entered a house on Radfield Drive, Odsal, Bradford, by slipping through the rear patio doors.

After hearing a noise, the occupant went upstairs to see him on the landing before he was able to escape and run away, taking the man’s wallet containing cash and cards.

McIlvenny then used one of the cards to make two contactless payments at a nearby garage a short time later.

The court heard that McIlvenny, of Daleside Walk, Bowling, Bradford, had 31 previous convictions for 90 offences, including burglaries dating back to 1989. He had been given a five-year sentence for his most recent burglary in 2013.

He admitted two further charges of burglary and one of fraud.

As Judge Durham Hall attempted to adjourn his sentencing after a lunch break, McIlvenny stood up in the dock and demanded to be dealt with straightaway.

He said: “I’ve done 26 years out of the last 30. Just send me back to prison where I belong”, to which Judge Durham Hall replied: “Okay, my pleasure, do take a seat.”

Andrew Walker, mitigating, said his client did not speak with a tone of anger, but a tone of “someone who has simply become institutionalised.”

McIlvenny then spoke again to the judge, stating he “knew the difference between right and wrong” but had fallen into “Bradford’s criminal fraternity” after first being remanded as a 14 year-old boy.

The court heard that one of the reasons McIlvenny wanted to be sentenced immediately was to get back to prison in Leeds in time for a Christmas lunch.

Jailing McIlvenny for six years, Judge Durham Hall said his case was an “impossible situation to justify leniency.”

On targeting the “seriously-ill” Mr Bartle, he said: “You despicably snuck in and hid behind his chair. Mr Bartle is a brave man and a man of standing in his community, unlike you.

“In terms of burglary, you are dyed in the wool. You are a danger to society, you know that. Your concern is missing the Armley canteen rather than concern over remorse.”

Police release CCTV image in shoplifting investigation

POLICE have released this image of a man they want to speak to following a shoplifting incident in Bradford.

A theft was reported on Saturday December 2, and after searching through CCTV footage, police have released this image of a man they think can help with their investigation.

Police have not disclosed what area the shop was located, other than that it is in Bradford. The appeal said: “Images may be of both potential suspects or witnesses.”

Anyone who recognises the man can contact police on 101 quoting crime reference number 13170562964, or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111.

Burglar stolen £5,000 worth of laptops and CCTV cameras from Bradford business

A BURGLAR who admitted stealing £5,000 worth of laptops and security equipment from a Bradford firm has avoided jail.

Polish national Anbrzej Dmochowski, 24, climbed in through a kitchen window of the insolvency business on Bolton Road in the early hours of October 9.

After smashing a door to gain entry to an office, he took three laptops, a tin of petty cash, and CCTV cameras. Forensic investigators found his fingerprints left by the window.

The court heard today that Dmochowski, of Grantham Road, Bradford, had been given a conditional discharge after trying to headbutt a PCSO while drunk in the city centre on October 3.

Recorder Simon Batiste jailed Dmochowski for 14 months, suspended for two years, and ordered him to complete a 15-day rehabilitation requirement and 200 hours of unpaid work.

Burglar stole £5,000 worth of laptops and CCTV cameras from Bradford business

A BURGLAR who admitted stealing £5,000 worth of laptops and security equipment from a Bradford firm has avoided jail.

Polish national Anbrzej Dmochowski, 24, climbed in through a kitchen window of the insolvency business on Bolton Road in the early hours of October 9.

After smashing a door to gain entry to an office, he took three laptops, a tin of petty cash, and CCTV cameras. Forensic investigators found his fingerprints left by the window.

The court heard today that Dmochowski, of Grantham Road, Bradford, had been given a conditional discharge after trying to headbutt a PCSO while drunk in the city centre on October 3.

Recorder Simon Batiste jailed Dmochowski for 14 months, suspended for two years, and ordered him to complete a 15-day rehabilitation requirement and 200 hours of unpaid work.

Thornton Heath kidnap: Arrests made over 50-hour ordeal

Media playback is unsupported on your device

Media captionCCTV of two men wanted in connection with the kidnap and burglary

Two men have been arrested by police investigating a kidnapping ordeal that lasted 50 hours.

The 24-year-old victim was stripped naked, tied up and beaten after being lured to a house in Thornton Heath, Croydon by two acquaintances.

He was set up by an armed gang who took his keys and burgled his parents’ home.

Two men, aged 29 and 19, have been arrested on suspicion of kidnap after CCTV was released in a public appeal by the Met Police.

The pair are being questioned at a south London police station.

Police said they were hunting for another two suspects in connection with the “vicious and prolonged attack“, which may have involved up to 12 attackers.

The victim was lured to a house while he was walking along London Road at 2pm on Monday.

As well as his £9,000 Rolex watch, a significant amount of cash was taken from his parents’ property in Sydenham, south-east London, police said.

‘Utterly distraught ‘

The captors had previously forced the man to ring his parents and make a ransom demand for his release, which they could not pay.

On Wednesday, which was the third evening of the hostage ordeal, the victim was taken by car to a Metro bank cash machine in North End, Croydon, so he could withdraw money.

His tormentors waited in the vehicle, apparently out of fear of being captured on CCTV, giving the man an opportunity to escape.

Two men, aged 39 and 58, were previously arrested on suspicion of kidnapping and bailed to January.

Det Sgt Samuel Bennett, of the Croydon Criminal Investigation Department, said: “This was a vicious and prolonged attack of a nature that thankfully is very rare.

“It has left the victim utterly distraught and traumatised.”

The entry of two suspects into the home of the victim’s parents was captured on CCTV. The footage has been released by police in a bid to identify them.

“These men are dangerous and it is important that we apprehend them before they can target anyone else,” Det Sgt Bennett added.

Man stripped in 50-hour kidnap ordeal in Thornton Heath

Media playback is unsupported on your device

Media captionCCTV of two men wanted in connection with the kidnap and burglary

A man was stripped naked, beaten and tied up in a kidnapping ordeal that lasted 50 hours.

The 24-year-old victim was lured to a house in Thornton Heath, Croydon by two acquaintances, where he was set upon by an armed gang.

His keys were taken by the gang who burgled his parents’ home.

As well as the man‘s £9,000 Rolex watch, a significant amount of cash was taken from the property in Sydenham, south-east London, police said.

The captors had previously forced the man to ring his parents and make a ransom demand for his release, which they could not pay.

‘Utterly distraught’

On Wednesday, which was the third evening of the hostage ordeal, the victim was taken by car to a Metro bank cash machine in North End, Croydon, so he could withdraw money.

His tormentors waited in the vehicle, apparently out of fear of being captured on CCTV, giving the man an opportunity to escape.

Det Sgt Samuel Bennett, of the Croydon Criminal Investigation Department, said: “This was a vicious and prolonged attack of a nature that thankfully is very rare.

“It has left the victim utterly distraught and traumatised.”

The entry of two suspects into the home of the victims’ parents was captured on CCTV, which has now been released by detectives in a bid to identify them.

Detectives have also named two other men they want to speak to in connection with the man’s ordeal – two brothers, Ali Dervish, 28, and 19-year-old Sinan Dervish.

Image copyright Met Police
Image caption Ali Dervish, 28, is among suspects wanted in connection with the kidnap and burglary

Murdered Suhaib Mohammed ‘collateral damage’ to drug dealers

Suhaib MohammedImage copyright Channel 4
Image caption Suhaib Mohammed died two hours after being shot in the chest

A teenager who was murdered in the UK after moving from Somalia was “just collateral damage” to a drug dealing gang, a senior police officer says.

Suhaib Mohammed, 19, was shot through an open window at a house in Milton Keynes, in September 2016.

Two men were jailed for life in March after being convicted of his murder.

Speaking ahead of a TV documentary about the case, Det Ch Insp Mike Lynch said Mr Mohammed had been “groomed into a life he knew nothing about.”

“This was the tragic case of a 19-year-old brought from Somalia to the UK by his family to make a better life for themselves but, ultimately, he was vulnerable,” he said.

“He was was just collateral damage in the world of organised crime and became wrapped up in something he had no control over.”

Image copyright sbna
Image caption Mohammed Noor (left) and Albert Prempeh should serve a minimum of 30 years, the judge said

Mohamed Noor, 33, and Albert Prempeh, 35, both of Milton Keynes, were sentenced to a minimum of 30 years, following a trial at Luton Crown Court.

Noor, of Radworthy, fired the revolver after Prempeh, from Langland Road, had led him to the house in Osprey Close, Eagleston.

The court heard the pair went to the address to exact revenge on a man known as Hypes, who had robbed Noor earlier and believed to have been involved in a £4,000 bookmaker robbery the previous day.

Prempeh said he had been forced at gunpoint by Noor to go to the house, an accusation Noor denied.

Mr Lynch said: “That was the difficulty of the case – it seemed straightforward.

“But we looked at CCTV and found footage of Prempeh leading Noor to the scene and certainly not under duress”.

The case has been featured in Channel 4 documentary Catching a Killer, to be shown on Thursday, 7 December.

Image copyright Channel 4
Image caption The teenager was shot in the chest through a ground floor window in Osprey Close, Eaglestone

Mr Lynch – who has since retired from policing – said he took part in the programme to show how “emotionally challenging” cases like this are for police staff.

“They have to support families who have lost someone but they have to be impartial and seek the truth, which sometimes causes tension,” he said.

“And there is always a sense of a hollow victory in that no sentence can ever bring someone back”.

Corrie Mckeague family split over police report into search

Corrie MckeagueImage copyright Family photo
Image caption Corrie Mckeague, from Dunfermline, Fife, was last seen on 24 September 2016

Missing airman Corrie Mckeague‘s father accepts the search for his son has ended after a review of Suffolk Police’s handling of the case.

“As a family whose son is missing we certainly don’t want to believe there are no longer any reasonable lines of enquiry,” Martin Mckeague said.

“But it’s true we have to accept that.”

But Corrie’s mother Nicola Urquhart was disappointed with the independent review and claimed the report team was not given all the facts.

“I sadly have issues with this report. Some of the lines of enquiry I do not feel have been investigated thoroughly,” Mrs Urquhart said.

Image caption Nicola Urquhart had hoped the search of a landfill site would continue for another three weeks

The report carried out by the East Midlands Specialist Unit described the investigation by Suffolk Police for the airman as “exemplary”.

The 23-year-old vanished following a night out in Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, in September 2016.

“We’ve read the independent review of the police’s work. From the beginning of this investigation we have stood by the police,” Mr Mckeague said.

“We are pleased that the findings of the review supports the incredible effort the police have made to date.

“That review has concluded that there are no other reasonable new lines of enquiry in the investigation into the disappearance of my son Corrie.

“Our hope is that everyone out there accepts it as well,” Mr Mckeague said.

Image caption Martin Mckeague accepts the search for his son is over

The review released to the BBC, described assessing 2,000 hours of CCTV footage as a “significant achievement”.

The report was sent to the force in October but never made public.

Image caption The review made 14 recommendations on Suffolk Police’s inquiry into the disappearance of Corrie Mckeague

Significant chunks of the document have been redacted, including large portions dealing with an error in the weight of material carried on a bin lorry which collected waste from the area in which Mr Mckeague was last seen.

Mrs Urquhart who was hoping the search of the landfill site would continue for another three weeks said a “major fact concerning the weights of the bins was incorrect”.

“That could have had an impact on recommendations as to how this investigation has been carried out.”

The East Midlands Specialist Unit review made 14 recommendations including viewing CCTV from a wider area.

Image copyright PA
Image caption This is the second time the landfill site at Milton has been searched for the missing airman