Advertisements

Cannock ‘gas explosion’: Man treated for shock

The scene in Cannock Image copyright Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service
Image caption A blast ripped through the flat at about 10:50 GMT

Residents have been evacuated from nearby properties following a suspected gas explosion in a flat above a shop.

The blast tore through walls and doors in the building in Cannock Road, Chadsmoor, Cannock at about 10:50 GMT.

A man inside the Select and Save convenience store was taken to hospital and treated for shock, Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service said.

The explosion blew the walls and doors out by about 1ft (30cms) in some parts of the flat, it said.

Ian Housley, from the fire service, said: “There is a day nursery next door but, thankfully, being Sunday, there was no one about.”

He described the damage as severe and said: “The pressure, like a wave, has come through the back of property and up, removing all the tiles and gable end and roof making it quite unstable.”

Image copyright Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service
Image caption Firefighters used an aerial ladder platform to remove parts of the roof to make the building safer

A building inspector is assessing the site and gas and electricity company workers are making sure the area is safe.

“Residents have been allowed back into their properties but next door will have to be rehoused because it is just too dangerous and too close to the building itself,” Mr Housely said.

Image copyright Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service
Image caption Mr Housley said the area was likely to be closed for some time

Follow BBC West Midlands on Facebook, on Twitter, and sign up for local news updates direct to your phone.

Advertisements

Be the first to comment on "Cannock ‘gas explosion’: Man treated for shock"

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: