Advertisements

Poorly parked van delays fire crew rushing to house fire

FIREFIGHTERS were delayed in getting to a house fire led to an elderly man being hospitalised due to a van blocking a road on their route.

Bradford station had been responding to reports of a smoke alarm going off in a house on Farmhill Road at 8pm yesterday.

While travelling to the property, the crew‘s route was blocked by a van parked on a residential street, leaving no space for the fire engine to pass.

The crew had to park up and ask local residents who the van belonged to. By the time the vehicle was moved, the crew had been delayed around five minutes.

Another crew had taken a different route to the property and managed to get there without incident.

When they arrived they found that a pan left unattended on a hob had led to the property becoming heavily smoke-logged. An elderly man living at the property was found collapsed on the floor, and was rushed to hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation.

Watch commander Simon Moore said: “We had to get out of the engine and park up. It took us a few minutes to get the van moved so we could move through the street.

“People park up and don’t think about whether other vehicles could get through.

“When we did arrive there the house was full of smoke and one of the occupants had collapsed. We gave him first aid when we got there.

“It could have been much worse. It took us at least five minutes longer to get to the house than it should. Luckily the other engine were able to get there as they had taken a different route.”

Advertisements
%d bloggers like this: