Advertisements

Labour hopeful to be re-interviewed about controversial comments made about Jews five years ago

THE Labour Party is re-interviewing a Council hopeful in the wake of a national furore over her comments about Jews, the Telegraph & Argus understands.

Former Respect activist Nasreen Khan has apologised for her comments, made on Facebook five years ago.

But after the T&A last week exclusively revealed she had made a shortlist for nomination as a candidate in next year‘s local elections, the party has once again found itself facing accusations of failing to deal with anti-Semitism.

Party members had been due to choose their candidate for the safe Labour seat of Little Horton at a meeting on Friday.

But now it is understood that an interview panel from the regional party will quiz Ms Khan about her remarks tomorrow evening, before deciding whether she should remain on the shortlist.

Ms Khan has so far not been available for comment.

Ms Khan had hit headlines in 2012, when, using the name Naz Kahn, she had said: “It’s such a shame that the history teachers in our school never taught us this but they are the first to start brainwashing us and our children into thinking the bad guy was Hitler.

“What have the Jews done good in this world??”

She has since apologised for her comments, saying in a statement last week: “I accept fully that it was inappropriate and unacceptable.

“I have travelled a long way since then and learned so much. I profoundly regret the comments I made in 2012 and any offence they caused.”

Rudi Leavor, chairman of Bradford Synagogue, ha called the comments “odious”, adding that in his view, Ms Khan was not suitable to be a councillor.

“Her comments from a few years ago were inexcusable, but she has acknowledged they were wrong,” he said.

Naz Shah (Bradford West MP) in the past had said some not too complementary things about Israel but she has since apologised and completely rehabilitated. If we accept the apology of Naz Shah then we must accept the apology of Nasreen Khan.

“However, what she said was pretty odious, and I would say she is not a suitable person to be selected for a council role.”

The group Labour Against Antisemitism had said: “The shortlisting of Nasreen Khan, someone who has made highly offensive comments, as a Labour local council candidate is neither a shock or a surprise.

“It is another indication of a Labour Party that is failing in its ability to combat antisemitism among its own membership.”

Councillor Susan Hinchcliffe, who leads the Labour-run Council, had also spoken out about Ms Khan’s remarks, saying: “No-one who has seen these comments from 2012 can fail to be appalled by them. Ms Kahn herself appears to accept this judgement. Such comments have no place in our society.”

Advertisements

Leave a Reply