An inquest into the death of former Welsh Labour minister Carl Sargeant will be opened on Monday.
He was removed amid allegations he had “touched or groped” a number of women.
Mr Sargeant was facing a party investigation into claims about inappropriate personal conduct and had been suspended from the Welsh Labour party when he died.
Steve Jones said he agreed with former cabinet minister Leighton Andrews, who has described a “toxic” atmosphere at the top of the administration.
The Welsh assembly’s business last week was cancelled as a mark of respect following his death.
Mr Sargeant’s family called him “the glue that bound us together”, adding they were “devastated beyond words”.
Wales’ First Minister Carwyn Jones said he was “shocked and deeply saddened” by the death and paid tribute to “a friend as well as a colleague”.
Mr Jones sacked Mr Sargeant from his frontbench after the first minister learned of a number of alleged incidents involving women.
There will be an independent inquiry into how Mr Jones handled the case.
The north Wales coroner will formally open the inquest in Ruthin on Monday.