Advertisements

Street will only get post twice a week after delivery staff ‘had missiles thrown at them’

Dozens of households left without post for nearly two months after delivery workers were allegedly verbally abused and bombarded with missiles will now get their mail twice a week.

Deliveries had been completely suspended at Holly Road in Risca after Royal Mail staff were “threatened and intimidated” causing police to intervene.

Royal Mail will now trial deliveries two days a week to some residents in the street while “monitoring the situation closely”.

Deliveries were stopped following reports of disturbances in Holly Road
(Image: Richard Swingler)

One 27-year-old resident on the block said: “I have been told it will come early in the morning to try and avoid confrontation.

“We have been without post now for two months. I was one of the lucky ones in that I could have it redirected to a relative but some people had to travel far to the sorting office.”

A resident for around seven years, they said that the actions of a minority are causing other residents to suffer and that it appeared to be a problem with one block of flats in particular.

They said: “I feel very frustrated and I think that a lot of people in the block are feeling frustrated too.

“It’s the same as in any street or any neighbourhood – you get some good people and some bad people.”

Some people were forced to travel miles to collect their post
(Image: Richard Swingler)

A Royal Mail spokeswoman said: “We are trialling deliveries two days a week to some residents in Holly Road.

“We will be monitoring the situation closely and will be undertaking a further risk assessment regarding deliveries to all addresses.

“We will need to assess the situation before any decision can be taken on resuming daily mail deliveries to residents.

“In the meantime customers are able to collect mail from our delivery office or request us to deliver it to an alternative address in the area.”

In June postal workers were given a police escort after fears for their safety, causing deliveries to be suspended and forcing around 80 residents to travel to Abercarn, five miles away, to pick up their post.

The council are working with Royal Mail to solve the issue
(Image: Richard Swingler)

A Gwent Police spokesman previously said they were investigating an “isolated” incident on June 15 where items were thrown from a flat window, missing a postal worker.

A letter circulated to residents on June 16 from Royal Mail said the changes were “due to concerns regarding crime in the area”.

Days later Royal Mail attempted to deliver to residents of the flat with police in attendance and said one of their postmen was verbally abused.

A Caerphilly council spokesman said: “Residents are understandably frustrated and we continue to work alongside Royal Mail in order to explore solutions to this issue.

“We understand that Royal Mail have agreed to begin a trial of twice-weekly deliveries to the even-numbered properties on Holly Road, which will be reviewed after two weeks or sooner if necessary.

“They have indicated only that they are planning a further risk assessment in relation to the flats and we await the outcome of this risk assessment prior to further considering possible solutions.

“We have offered to accompany Royal Mail staff when this risk assessment takes place”.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply