Advertisements

Man stabbed in playpark disturbance in Glasgow

Park in RoystonImage copyright Google
Image caption The incident happened in a park between Royston Road and Charles Street

A man has been stabbed during a disturbance in a children’s playpark in the Royston area of Glasgow.

Police said a group of men were involved in an incident at the park near Royston Road and Charles Street at about 20:15 on Saturday.

A 29-year-old man suffered serious injuries was taken to Glasgow Royal Infirmary.

Officers are treating it as an attempted murder and have been checking CCTV to identify those involved.

Det Insp Phil Peacock of Maryhill Police Office said: “A disturbance took place around 20:15 hours within the children’s playpark area at Charles Street between a group of men, and we are carrying out enquiries in the local area and gathering CCTV footage in an effort to gain more information on this incident and identify those involved.

“At this time, I would urge any witnesses to this disturbance, or anyone with information that may assist our investigation to contact Maryhill Police Office through 101 quoting reference number 3775.”

Advertisements

Bros reunited

Matt and Luke GossImage copyright Getty Images

Eighties boy band Bros have returned to the stage for the first time in nearly 30 years and thanked fans for supporting their comeback.

Twin brothers Matt and Luke Goss performed at a sold-out O2 Arena in London on Saturday.

They told fans they hoped their comeback show would be the “first of many concerts”.

The band, who hit number one with I Owe You Nothing, last played live exactly 28 years earlier at Wembley Stadium.

And they ended their comeback show with an encore of their signature song When Will I Be Famous?

But the third member of the original Bros line-up, bassist Craig Logan, did not make an appearance as he announced last year that he had no interest in returning to the stage.

Addressing fans on stage, Matt said: “We’ve always had to push a little bit harder than everybody else in some ways but do you know why we’ve been able to continue to do that?

“It’s because of you guys and that’s the only reason.”

He added: “We would love for this to be the first of many, many concerts.”

A video posted on the O2 Arena’s official Twitter account shows the boyband opening the show with I Owe You Nothing.

Singer Matt later performed a tribute to the late George Michael by singing his hit Freedom – and drummer Luke paid his own homage to Soundgarden frontman Chris Cornell, by wearing the grunge band’s T-shirt, three months after Cornell’s death.

Bros enjoyed major success during the 1980s and inspired teenage fans – famously dubbed Brosettes – to wear bottle caps on their bootlaces during the height of their fame.

But Logan left the band in 1989 and the twins called it a day in 1992 after a run of 12 Top 40 hits.

And many of the original Brosettes were out in force at the O2, tweeting their appreciation for the comeback show, saying it was “incredible” and “worth the wait”.

Bros announced their comeback show in October. It sold out in seven seconds and prompted the band to expand to a full UK tour.

However, they cancelled all of their concerts outside of London and Manchester due to “unforeseen logistical circumstances” – with many of the other venues suffering poor ticket sales.

Scottish holidaymaker Cameron Russell dies in Bulgaria incident

Cameron Russell

A young Scottish man has died while on holiday at a beach resort in Bulgaria.

Cameron Russell, 20, from Dalry in Ayrshire, died after an incident in Sunny Beach, near the Black Sea, on Thursday.

The company he worked for has posted a tribute to him on social media describing his death as a “tragic accident”.

The Foreign Office said it was supporting the family of a British man who died in Sunny Beach.

The 20-year-old was a digger driver for plant hire and industrial services firm Clearwater Ltd.

‘Credit to the company’

In a statement posted on Facebook, it said: “It’s with great sadness I have to tell everyone that we lost one of our young digger drivers after a tragic accident on holiday.

“Cameron ‘Buff’ Russell started with the company three years ago and just turned 20 a few weeks ago.

“He was a credit to the company and his mother and father. RIP young Cammy, you will be sorely missed.”

A Foreign Office spokesman said: “The British Embassy in Bulgaria is providing assistance to the family of a British man who has died in Sunny Beach.”

Plans for new 100-seat station cafe hit the buffers

ESCALATING forecasted costs have derailed plans to develop a brand new cafe building at Oxenhope Railway Station.

News that this particular Keighley & Worth Valley Railway (K&WVR) project was “dead in the water” was revealed at the latest meeting of Oxenhope Parish Council.

Councillors said they were disappointed that the scheme would not be going any further.

But speaking after the meeting, K&WVR chairman Dr Matt Stroh noted that even though this specific application for Oxenhope’s station would not be progressed, the railway would continue to explore alternative ways of enhancing its catering facilities.

The railway currently operates a cafe housed in a buffet carriage at Oxenhope.

A detailed e-mail from the K&WVR about the planning application for the new cafe, which was presented to the parish council, explained: “The bottom line is that this project is now dead in the water and will not be going ahead in the foreseeable future.

“The reasoning behind this is that the groundworks, reinforcing the boundary between the road and ‘our’ land and building of the cafe – with a £250,000 budget – have now been estimated at £900,000, plus contingencies.

“As a charitable organisation we simply do not have around £1 million to put into this project, given we are having, year by year, to invest in our track, stations and most importantly our engines and rolling stock.”

He added that this also means that the railway’s original plan to extend its car park at Oxenhope is not going to happen.

He said: “The present cafe [at Oxenhope] in its present position – it cannot be moved – will continue.

“All I can personally add is that I, and many other working volunteers on the railway were looking forward to this development with a view to increasing our income and visitor experience.

“But given the amount of money required we can quite clearly see why this cannot go ahead. We would never recover the capital amount required for the development and we are a charitable organisation with limited income.”

Plans for the intended cafe at this station were passed by Bradford Council back in August 2016.

The railway had hoped to build a 100-seater cafe, arguing that it would be not only a great asset for the railway but for Oxenhope and the wider area.

If it had been built, the cafe and its associated kitchen and toilets would have been accommodated in a single storey building on the western side of Oxenhope Station’s existing exhibition shed, facing towards the car park.

The railway had wanted to develop a 350 square metre property with a curved, mostly glazed facade.

Dr Stroh this week said: “If we built something on or alongside the station platform we would have to bridge over the river, which may not have been impossible but would have been an engineering challenge, leading to increased costs.

“Building it alongside the exhibition shed would have comprised a lot of groundworks to get the levels right. And until you start digging you don’t know whether there could be even more costs involved.

“We don’t want to commit to something that might be an open-ended cheque. £1 million is a very big sum to commit the railway to.”

Billingham shootings: Man charged with supplying drugs

Police van at scene
Image caption Shots were fired at an empty house on Wednesday

A man arrested in connection with two shootings has been charged with intending to supply drugs.

The man, 20, had been arrested on suspicion of possessing a firearm with intent to endanger life after a car and house were shot at in Billingham.

Cleveland Police said he has instead been charged with three drugs offences.

A 19-year-old man arrested on suspicion of criminal damage recklessly endangering life has been released with no further police action.

Police have also arrested a 38-year-old woman on suspicion of attempting to pervert the course of justice and she faces questioning.

Remanded

A 40-year-old man arrested on suspicion of production of Class B drugs has now been released under investigation while inquiries continue.

A 21-year-old man was previously arrested in connection with both shootings but later released without charge.

The 20-year-old man has been charged with two counts of possession with intent to supply Class B drugs and one of intent to supply Class A drugs.

He has been remanded into custody to appear at Teesside Magistrates’ Court on Monday.

A cyclist shot at a parked car on Tuesday and shots were fired at an empty house on Wednesday.

Golf driver arrested after city centre pursuit which ended in a crash with a cab

A MAN has been arrested following a police pursuit which ended with the car he was driving colliding with a private hire vehicle in the city this morning.

Inspector Carlton Young, duty inspector for West Yorkshire Police, said the incident occurred at 6.55am after a white Golf car made off from police in Preston Street, Bradford.

“After a short pursuit lasting less than a minute, the Golf collided with a taxi in Thornton Road.

“No one was injured in the collision and the 23-year-old driver of the Golf was arrested,” he said.

He added there were no current details for the reason of the initial pursuit.

A fire crew was called to attend the scene.

U-boat and merchant shipwrecks given protected status

88mm deck gun from the First World War German UC-70 mine-laying submarineImage copyright Historic England
Image caption The U-boat was armed with an 88mm deck gun

The wrecks of a World War One U-boat and two merchant ships containing 15 cast iron cannons have been given protected status.

The submarine, off the coast of Whitby, sank 40 ships before being bombed in 1918 with the loss of all its crew.

It is thought the two vessels, discovered near Chesil Beach, in Dorset, were sunk in the 18th Century.

Historic England said the sites “comprise important elements of our maritime heritage”.

Image copyright Historic England
Image caption Seven cannons can be seen lying on the sea bed near Chesil Beach

It said it was also investigating the discovery of the bottom timbers of an oak-built boat at Tankerton, near Whitstable, which could date back as far 1200AD.

John Glen, minister for arts, heritage and tourism, said: “It’s important that we protect these two sites that are part of our country’s seafaring and naval history.

“The shipwreck off Chesil Beach is a rare discovery and by protecting it we can encourage further study of the site.

“The listing of the U-boat wreck off Whitby is also particularly poignant, as we continue to mark the centenary of World War One and remember the sacrifices of those who fought 100 years ago.”

Image copyright Historic England
Image caption Historic England said the age of the ship found near Tankerton is estimated to be between 1200 and 1800AD

The U-boat has been described as a German Imperial Navy UC-70 mine-laying submarine.

It was discovered as part of work to research and survey submarine losses within UK territorial waters around England.

The vessels found near Chesil Beach could be the Dutch West Indiaman ‘De Hoop’ which stranded at Chesil Cove in 1749 and British cargo vessel ‘Squirrel’ which stranded on Chesil Beach in 1750.

Duncan Wilson, chief executive of Historic England, said: “The importance of the UC-70 lies in its historical interest and the vulnerability of its component parts as well as its sensitivity as a war grave.

“The Chesil Beach wreck site is also important but for different reasons – it’s rare to discover wooden ships of this age surviving on the seabed with so many cannons.”

World Toe Wrestling champion wins again

Toe wrestlersImage copyright Bentley Brook Inn
Image caption The World Toe Wrestling Championships is an annual event in Derbyshire

New toe wrestling champions have been crowned this weekend after the unusual competition was held in Derbyshire.

The World Toe Wrestling Championships, which is like arm wrestling but with feet, was held at Bentley Brook Inn, Fenny Bentley, Derbyshire.

Alan “Nasty” Nash won the men’s competition for the 14th time and Rebecca Beech won the women’s title.

The championships were created in the 1970s.

Image caption Men’s champion Alan “Nasty” Nash toe wrestled Jay Leno on his Tonight Show in 1997
Image caption Women’s champion Rebecca Beech, whose mother was a previous winner
Image caption All the proceeds from this year‘s event are going to a children’s charity

Mr Nash, from Stoke-on-Trent, said: “That was just a walk in the park again – normal day at the office.”

At the championships, wrestlers compete in best-of-three knockout rounds until there is a winner.

Everyone has their feet checked by a podiatrist before they compete.

Wendy Livingstone, general manager of the Bentley Brook Inn, said: “It’s weird and wonderful, another one of England‘s eccentric sports.”

Image caption Podiatrist Alison Barley was inspecting feet before the competition
Image caption BBC reporter Liam Barnes took on French journalist Julia Gaulon from Neon magazine

Two charged after major cash and drug raids in Merseyside

drugs under floor boards
Image caption Police found drugs, worth up to £1.2m, under floor boards

Two men have been charged after 12kg of heroin and £530,000 cash were found by police during raids in Merseyside.

The drugs, which have an estimated street value of £1.2m, were discovered at an address in Thatto Heath, St Helens, on Friday along with £500,000.

The remaining £30,000 was found in a car outside another property in Huyton.

A man, 52, has been charged with money laundering and possession with intent to supply drugs while a 56-year-old man has been charged with money laundering.

Image copyright Merseyside Police
Image caption About £500,000 in cash were also found in a suitcase

Man, 45, charged with Brixton street murder

Atlantic Road, BrixtonImage copyright Google
Image caption Andrew Thompson from Kennington, south London, was attacked in Atlantic Road in Brixton

A 45-year-old man has been charged with the murder of a man who was stabbed to death in a south-west London street.

Andrew Thompson, from Kennington, was attacked in Atlantic Road in Brixton at 12:50 BST on Friday.

The 30-year-old was taken to a south London hospital but died soon after. A post-mortem examination found he died from a stab wound to the chest.

The man who has been charged with murder will appear at Hendon Magistrates’ Court on Monday.